Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Roundup


Pretty slow week here in the big-haired member of the Sobriquets' world... work, sleep, work, sleep, pet the cat,
work some more. No vacation to sunny California for me; just sunny, mid 60 degree Philadelphia. Poor me.

We're all pretty broken up about Harry Kalas; as a transplant to Philadelphia in the last decade, I wasn't raised on the golden tones of Harry K, but he quickly became my stress reducer of choice (especially when paired with a cold beer and a Ryan Howard strike out or two) during the warmer parts of the year. He passed away this week in the booth while preparing for Monday's afternoon game against the Nationals; I suppose it's the broadcaster's equivalent of "dying with ones boots on." Harry has been eulogized in many places by many people more eloquent than I, so I'll just give my thanks that he went out with a World Series win and that a part of Philadelphia's soul is Outta Here.

Ryan Howard, on the other hand, is hitting .341 at the moment, and has played in eleven games. Usually at this time of the year, he's at about .115... this is pleasantly disconcerting. He also apparently legged out a triple today. Wonders may never cease.

Beyond that, I'm just waiting til Dan gets back from LA with the final masters... he tells me it sounds like an early Hip record.

Gonna go get dinner now.

Loves and Kisses,

J

1 comment:

  1. I was considering doing a Harry Kalas post tomorrow myself, but you're right, everyone else has eulogized him pretty well. His death didn't hit me until today's one-hour special that aired before the game. I was watching him give his last interview, and listening to his voice, I finally realized he wouldn't be my soundtrack for summer anymore. And I've been listening to that soundtrack for as long as I can remember. I will really, truly miss him.

    ReplyDelete